Wednesday, November 5, 2014

AN UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE

In need of relaxation, I thought to avail myself of one of the many ocean cruises offered this Fall. I called a local travel agency to inquire. It was difficult to choose from the many options. Finally I picked an intriguing little trip through the Caribbean for seven days in December. A penthouse suite was available for what I felt was a fair price of only $12000, plus $3900 for the single supplement.

Imagine my surprise when the agent offered me a discount! That’s right, a discount! For several moments I was speechless, I had to ask him to repeat his statement. Surely I had misheard, but no, it was true he had offered a 30% discount. In order to regain my composure I settled lower into my chair stared at the light fixture and pondered the fate of the many flies which had became trapped in the globe. If I have ever been more insulted, l have long forgotten. It is regrettable that dueling is no longer fashionable. In another time I would have demanded satisfaction, certainly arranging a dawn encounter with pistols.

Finally I was able to rise from the chair, I mumbled incoherently that I must take the cat to the Vet and stumbled from the office. The journey home was nerve racking. Fearing that old ladies might offer me their seat if I were to ride the bus, I slunked to my house, staying as much as possible in shadows trying to avoid homeless people who would certainly offer me money. Sweat was rolling from my brow and all my limbs were shaking. Never was I more embarrassed.

What was happening to me? Had I became old? Were my clothes no longer fashionable? Did I appear to be a pauper? Would I be expelled from my clubs? How was this to affect my social status? How will this affect my golf game? I have always proudly paid full price (or more) for everything! Under no circumstance will I allow myself to be classed with the common bourgeoisie, peasants or proletariat. No, I cannot countenance the giving or acceptance of discounts to one of my class. Just thinking of the experience causes me to swoon and my pulse to race and I must take rest.

After a long nap and a bowl of warm cream my normal calmness returned. I concluded that the entire unpleasant experience could only be attributed to the ignorance and incredible rudeness of the clerk.

Vowing not to have my spirits crushed, I called another travel agency and was able to arrange a cruise at twice the regular price. All is well in my world.

MorriCat, Paragon of sophistication



Advertisement
Join the Full Price Club now
Pay full price for everything
Increase your self esteem
You too can be a snob
Only $129 per year
Includes membership card printed in gold letters
And silk screened t-shirt reading
"I'm a fool"
Special limited time offer
Buy one membership at full price and get a second at half price

2 comments:

  1. The second membership at half price? Pish posh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. l pity anyone who would purchase two memberships, and could not accept their money without offering a discount.
      Pisa Posh?

      Delete